December 2, 2010

What’s Your Story?

I have just completed a three-year project and, after a few weeks to catch my breath, I am looking for some new and interesting projects to work on.

With my daughter, Martha Bull, I researched and wrote the bicentennial history of Massachusetts General Hospital, due to be published in April 2011. The project was commissioned by MGH, the third oldest general hospital in the United States and the first and most prestigious of the Harvard teaching hospitals.

The title, “Something in the Ether,” refers not only to the first ether operation performed at MGH in 1846 but also to that special something in the atmosphere that makes the hospital so remarkable. The final book will be 544 pages, with nearly 300 illustrations and an index of 40 pages. Phew! I'm not really sure how we did it. Advance buzz from MGH is highly favorable.

I am eager to sink my teeth into something new, large or small. I have prospects on the horizon, but there's no harm in putting the word out. 

What do I want to work on? Ask yourself this question: What's the one story you know of that will be lost, sadly, if you don't write it down? That's the project I want to work on!

A personal memoir? A family history? A sprawling complex narrative like the MGH project or the straightforward story of a life well lived? I've done all of the above.

So if there's a project you would like to discuss, please contact me. You'll find all the contact info at the top of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment